Stay Fit

Beau - Western Springs, Illinois

Stay Fit

The physical lifestyle of my great grandmother kept her going to the elderly age of 92. To my sister and I she is known as our granny. Walking was a large part of her life. Driving was not common for women when she was growing up, especially being the time of the Great Depression. Even in the later part of her life she walked at least a mile a day because of groceries and other chores. This is just how she got around. There is no doubt this cardiovascular activity lead to her age, as well as the fact that she very rarely got ill. Just simply walking may not seem like much to some, but it was quite impressive seeing a women in her nineties walking across town. When my mom was a young girl she would often stay with my great grandma during the day. She recalls having to walk about two miles everyday with her to my granny’s sister’s house. This sister had Alzheimer’s so my granny had to stay with her during the day, and the only way she was going to get over there was to walk. Then at the end of the day they would all walk the two miles back.

I believe in being physically active. My granny gives me the motivation to take my physical health seriously because she is proof that it greatly benefits you to be fit. Just the simple task of walking everyday kept her healthy for a long, long time. I have many family members who did not believe in this and it has taken a toll on them. They are out of shape and not as healthy as they probably should be. I make it a point to always have a physical activity for myself. Sports have always been important to me since I was young. They are a good form of exercise and are also very enjoyable. That is one of the most important things I think. If you aren’t having fun doing it you won’t get as much out of it. And even if you don’t participate in a team sport it is still easy to be active. For example, if you are going to meet up with friends you can ride your bike over there instead of getting a ride. Even walking your dog around the block is good for you. You don’t need to go to the gym for hours to be healthy. It just takes a small effort to make sure you aren’t being lazy all the time and not just sitting around.