This I believe….Technology makes us lazy.

Casey - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: science

This I Believe…

A long time ago, a great scientist once said that technology makes us lazy. This was over 500 years ago. I feel that this still holds true today. Technology is so advanced in this day in age that we have cars that parallel park by themselves, we have cell phones that finish our words and a sentence, making it fewer touches to the keypad, even a calculator to do our math, is a simple clue that technology makes us lazy. I’m not saying that I don’t like and/or use technology, trust me, I do, I‘m just saying that it does indeed make life a little easier, thus making us lazier.

Technology is amazing; it’ incredible, however, the improvements are getting to a point where it’s helping us so much it’s actually hurting us. The more technology does for us, the less we do, most houses don’t even use ice trays anymore, now, they use electronic ice machines. Just the simple task of putting water into a tray and putting it back into the freezer is now too much work for us. We just have to push a button and put our cup underneath the spout and a couple ice cubes fall into the cup.

Another illustration that shows us how we have gotten lazier is the automatic dishwasher. Mothers, children and fathers, used to spend 20 or 30 minutes doing dishes manually, but now, we spend 10 minutes loading dirty dishes, that don’t even have to be rinsed into a machine that washes and dries them for us. Every night, after dinner my brothers and I argue for at least fifteen minutes about who has to do the chore that takes 10 minutes. We fight and complain about having to do this really easy task instead of going and watching television. The only reason we fight is because we’re all lazy.

Technology has made our lives very easy, but it turn, has made us lazy. I believe that if we continue to make and improve technology, there can be some really useful inventions. However, we can make sure that the improvements don’t make us lazy, in very simple ways. We can ask ourselves, does this pen that writes down our thoughts and tells us how to spell correctly really need to be in everyone’s daily lives?; For example. This simple step can save us from being lazier, but still improving our lives.