I Believe in the Importance of Sports

Kevin - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: sports

“This I Believe”

I believe that sports are very important. Sports are played by a number of people throughout the United States and the rest of the world. There are many reasons why I like sports so much. First of all, participating in sports and watching sports is fun. Playing sports is also a great way to get a cardiovascular workout which is good for your health. Some other possible benefits of playing sports are an improved appearance and a higher self-esteem. They can also help you develop several life skills. Some skills that can be obtained by playing on a sports team are learning to be a hard worker, understanding the importance of teamwork, and experiencing successes and failures through winning and losing.

I believe that sports bring people together because of a common interest. Being a sports fan connects you with billions of people. The belief of sports bringing people together is tested during the summer in Chicago because of the rival baseball teams. The intensity can be very high at times and fights do breakout at games between Sox and Cubs fans. During the baseball season Chicago baseball fans are at odds, but once football season begins all of the arguing Chicago baseball fans unite to become Bears fans. That is one way sports bring people together.

I believe that life would not be the same without sports. I assume over 50% of the students in this classroom will be participating in a sport after school, or will watch some type of sporting event on TV tonight. I also believe sports can impact your everyday life. This story explains one very small way that sports have impacted my life. On Sunday, September 7th, I looked at the clock in my kitchen and it was 4:00 P.M. I remembered that I had to type my “I Believe” essay and that the Bears game was coming on that night. So I decided to do my essay so I could watch the game and wouldn’t have to do it last minute after the game.