Not a Normal 16th Birthday

Alex - Western Springs, Illinois

As a child, everyone was somehow connected to cars. Whether it was playing with your Hot Wheels or sitting on your parent’s lap pretending to drive, you where interested in driving. Most kids dreamed of the day that they would get their license: their 16th Birthday. But as for some people, like me, they will be waiting many months after that day to get their license.

In my case, I turn 16 on September 11th. Although the earliest time that I can get my license is February 16th. Now to me, that just doesn’t seem right. After new changes that the state made, you need 50 hours of driving and need your permit for nine months to get your license. To me, I feel that these rules are ridiculous because in most cases, once you drive for more than 10 hours, you already have the feel for driving. I know that people might say that these rules are appropriate, but what about the good drivers out there who should be able to get them on their 16th birthday. Not saying I am the best driver , but I don’t think I need to spend 50 hours and wait nine months to get my license. So why can’t the state just give the older kids a chance? Maybe let us take the Driving test, and if we are not yet prepared, we wait the nine months. I know people may say, you could have taken it privately before the changes occurred. Except I should not have to pay $500 in some cases to take Driver’s Ed. In my opinion, the class is not worth that kind of money. When I first heard about these rules, I did not think anything of them, because I thought they did not affect me. But once my friend, who also has an early birthday, told me the new rules again, I was very angry. Why make these new rules? What was so bad about the old ones? If drivers are not experienced enough, then don’t give them their license. Do not make them wait nine months when they are ready after three .

I believe the state should stop changing the laws in regards to getting your license. For all those older kids who will be getting their license later, all we can do is wait.