Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

Marissa - Orem, Utah
Themes: love

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

Yesterday, my mom made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I am seventeen years old! I have a car, I have lunch money, I can buy my own pizza, thank you very much. But yesterday, my mom made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Yesterday, I woke up late and yelled at my mom when she came downstairs to make sure I would get to school on time. I trudged upstairs, dreading the day before me, and there my mom was, standing with a sack lunch and my car keys in hand, ready to send me off for the day with a quick “I love you, have a good day.” When I opened my lunch at 12:24 in the afternoon, I found that my mom had made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Yesterday, I didn’t deserve a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and yet, there it was in my lunch sack.

I believe in the power of love. I think the Beatles got it right when they said “all you need is love.” Love is all encompassing of all things good; forgiveness, acceptance, compromise, understanding. Love is the only power that can repair broken families, end wars and heal century old ethnic hate if only the world could recognize and utilize this great power.

I recognize the power that love has because I experience it everyday in my own life. I know it’s her love for me that drives my mom to get up when I do each morning just to make sure that I wake up on time and have a good lunch as I walk out the door. Love is what reminds me, everyday at lunchtime as I open my brown paper sack, that I can be a better daughter and treat my mom with more respect. It’s amazing how this simple entity, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, can make such a big difference in my day and my mindset and how I treat people.

So yesterday, I came home from school and gave my mom a hug. I talked to her about my day and helped her with dinner, becuase I love her.

Tomorrow will always be a mystery, but I do know one thing for sure, and that is, no matter what, I know my mom loves me becuase peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are my favorite. And yesterday, my mom made me one.