I Believe in a Purpose for Lying

Dijana - Countryside, Illinois

I Believe in a Purpose for Lying

As long as I can remember,I’ve always waited impatiently for that one day in the year when every little child gets a visit from the nice and generous Santa Clouse, if they deserved it, of course. Well, I was about seven years old, when I found out that my biggest hero has been a lie. It was Christmas time, and my cousins came to visit us. I talked to my older cousin about how excited I am for Santa to come and reward me for being good all year long. She looked at me surprised and asked “You still believe in Santa?” I did not get it at first. I didn’t even want to think about such thing. Could they be lying to me for so long? I did not answer my cousin’s question and left. At the dinner table she brought it up again. Making fun of me, she asked what I wished for. I was so confused and mad. I asked with a shaking voice “Is it true?” They all looked at me and told me it was about time I figured out that Santa existed only when you are a very little kid. They told me I will still get presents. I cried and hated my parents for the whole day. And still sometimes at night I thought about it. How could they lie to me for so long?

People lie all the time. Some of them want to make someone else happy. I believe this was the purpose why my parents lied to me. And I have to admit, it did make me happy. Now that I think back in time, I feel like it’s better to have something nonexistent to believe in, something to look forward to, instead of living a dull, monotonous life. Now that I am older I seek a purpose behind every lie. Lying can break lifelong relationships and crush strong trust towers. But even then, I try to uncover the purpose behind the dishonesty. Why do people lie? I believe that lying is in human’s nature. We all make mistakes. Some people believe they can get past these imperfections by lying and trying to cover them up. A good relationship should be truthful and trustful. But sometimes we know that we have done something wrong and just sometimes things are better kept unknown to others. I don’t like lyers and I don’t like lying myself, but I think that sometimes what we dont know won’t hurt us, so i try to understand the necesity of lying.