Music Education in my life

Forrest - Winchester, Virginia

Thinking back on going through public school, I have come to realize that I was very fortunate to go through a school system that had a music program. Not the best music program ever, but a music program none the less. From singing in elementary school through the 7 years in band I spent playing the clarinet, and various other instruments, it would be a vast understatement to say that music education has changed my life. This has led to become one of my core principles along the way; that I believe in music education.

The first way music education has affected my life is how it has given me a more well-rounded education. I always view music as a little bit of every subject all mashed together into one place. Math, foreign language, psychology, physical education, history and science all come together, in one way or another, into one subject. Whether it was learning how to count fractions and subdivide in my head, or why the physics of sound allow certain things to sound good and others to sound bad, through music I have learned and will continue to learn a vast amount of knowledge that can always be applied to one subject or another in life and in school.

Music education has also affected me socially as well. In general I find myself, as well as other people who have had music education, to be more sensitive and caring as an individual. I think this aspect goes deep into the physiology of music, but I have always found that trying to understand and get into the emotions of a composer through a piece of music to play it correctly has helped me to do the same with the emotions of people. Being able to do this, and understanding where people are coming from with their emotions has always helped me with all the friendships and relationships of my life.

My final example of how music education has affected my life is how it has taught me discipline. Sticking with something for eight years and practicing to make myself the best musician I can try to be have transferred into many areas of my life today. Be it studying, doing homework or seeing something through to the end, I apply the drive and discipline I have learned through music, into all these areas of my life.

Music education is one of the most important aspects of my life. The friendships and experiences that I have had, and learned from over the years in music are invaluable to my core traits and beliefs. They have shaped me into the person I am today, and with out music education in my life I would be a vastly different individual than who I am today.