Mr. Carlozo

Brian - Western Springs

On a Friday night last January, my dad came home from work early, at about five o’clock. He came straight to my room and explained that a friend at work had told him a weird story about a person that he’d read about in the Chicago Tribune. His name was Lou Carlozo. My dad told me that this guy had a day job as a staff writer for the Tribune. Then he asked me if I wanted to go see Lou Carlozo play in concert at a bar called Fitzgerald’s out in Berwyn. That’s because Lou Carlozo is also an accomplished singer-songwriter, on top of his enviable position at a major national newspaper.

So me and my dad decided to go to Fitzgerald’s to see this guy. When we got there at around eight-thirty, the show had already started, and there were only about thirty people in there, staff included. “Any requests?” said Mr. Carlozo into the microphone. Me and my dad looked at each other. I shrugged. “BRUCE!” replied my dad, meaning Bruce Springsteen. My dad is a huge fan of Bruce. Soon, the band started playing a loud “Born To Run”. By the end of the concert, they had played a handful of Springsteen covers, each one receiving a standing ovation from the small crowd.

After the show was over and the band was done packing up their gear, my dad caught up to Mr. Carlozo, who offered him his latest CD. He bought a copy, and before long, they got to talking about their favorite music. As it turns out, Lou Carlozo is from New Jersey, the state where Bruce Springsteen grew up. “If you’re from Jersey,” he laughed, “then either you like Springsteen or you like Bon Jovi. And I don’t like Bon Jovi.”

The conversation they had that night is just one of the examples of how music draws people together. Two middle aged men who had never met before suddenly became two friends who shared a common taste in music. Only through the medium of art can this happen so quickly. I believe, then, in music’s power to unite people. Music is something that people encounter every day, take for granted and enjoy at the same time. There’s an entire industry based around its buying and selling. But in its most primitive form, music is a universal language that no one can ignore.