Everything Happens For a Reason

Arienne - Waterloo, Iowa

I believe everything happens for a reason, whether you learn, lose, or gain from it and whether you wanted it to happen or not. Some things in life are just meant to happen and God helps you choose decisions that will affect you for the rest of your life even if you weren’t the one who really chose it. There are good and bad experiences in everyone’s life, but it’s what you take out of a situation that can make you stronger. It’s kind of like living by karma, it’s not that bad things happen to bad people but bad things happen to people that make bad decisions and good things happen to people that stay true to what they believe in.

When my mom was younger, she made the decision to get pregnant when she was 16, not that it was a bad decision for her, but it could have been for me in the end because of the father I would have had. I know it wasn’t her decision for my biological dad to be there or not and for him to be a real dad but since he wasn’t, about 2 years later after my mom had had another child with my biological dad, she met another guy and he is the man I call “my dad”. I think God put him in that place not only to be with my mom but to be a father for me and my brother because ours wasn’t present. I’m so thankful he came into our lives because I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it wasn’t for him. It wasn’t his decision to be there but to actually be there and be a father to us which he didn’t have to be. He could have been just “my mom’s boyfriend” or “the guy that lives in my house” but he chose to be more than that and I’ve grown to known him as my dad because that’s what he is and them were his intentions in the beginning was to be a father to me.

I think that God plays a role in everything that happens and there is good and bad to look for in His decisions. Like when families have troubling times, God might have wanted it that way to bring family closer together. There is always good and bad but sometimes one might over-power the other so you don’t realize why something’s happening and how it could help you in the end but God has a plan for everyone and only He knows the true outcomes.