The Endless Possibilities of Summer

Moira - LaGrange, Illinois

I Believe in summer.

A warm breeze. The quiet symphony of crickets at night. The sugary taste of ice cream after a day at the beach. All of these sensations have one thing in common; they are all something that I associate with summer, freedom, and happiness. The memories from days at the beach, the pool, the mall, or just doing nothing seem infinitely superior because I can relate them to a time when I have no worries and no problems. With summer anything is possible, there are twelve weeks when you have the ability and time to do anything and everything. This is why I believe in summer.

My life could be characterized by summers. The summer when my brother was first born, when I went to Europe, when my family and I drove ten hours to Tennessee; each of these contains specific memories and feelings. Some are sad memories, others joyful. Either way, every summer preserves memoirs like a scrapbook, pictures frozen in time that distinguish one year from another. The summer that perfectly characterizes this to me is last summer. Last summer my cousins, aunts, and uncles all came up to my lake house in Michigan for a week. At first I didn’t want to go, I wanted to stay home and hang out with friends. But, was finally forced to go and grudgingly left the next day.

One day in the middle of the week, we went to the beach for the entire day, where we went swimming, relaxed, read books, and sunbathed. In the middle of the day my cousin exclaimed, “This is really fun!” It was then I realized that I was having fun, and that I could have fun, even without my friends and with my family. Even though I have been on wonderful trips during other summers, this day was especially wonderful, as it showed me that it is not where you are, but the people you are with that matter. Also, the best things in life are free, like a perfect day at the beach.

I now know that summer is about the simple pleasures in life and just relaxing and having fun. I will always remember this day because it was one of the happiest days of my life and it is what I picture when I think of summer. This is why I believe wholeheartedly in the magic and endless possibilities of summer.