Living in the Moment

Mary - Pembroke, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living in the moment.

My best friend and I were driving home in her red jeep wrangler after soccer practice. The roof was down and the radio was blaring. The sun was on the peak of setting, but it still beat down on our bare arms. We were singing at the top of our lungs, as usual, in tune with the song on the radio.

All at once, this feeling washed over me. The stress of the day and all of my previous worries suddenly vanished. I felt carefree and alive. Nothing else mattered except for this one moment. Now, only blithe thoughts filled my head. I looked out the window at the passing scene; houses lined the street, the leaves of the trees were greener than ever, and the sunlight hit them in the most perfect way. I suddenly felt aware of my surroundings. Everything I saw had a purpose in my life and contained a hidden message, left for me to decipher. I began to smile, inexplicably. Nothing was said or done to prompt this feeling of joy, except for the new atmosphere that I had entered into unexpectedly on my way home.

I am generally not a carefree person. I like to know the details and I like to have control. It can be hard for me to just ‘go with the flow’. However, as I grow older and meet new people, I am learning. I am learning that you cannot always be so serious because that can lead to unhappiness. I am learning that sometimes you just have to let go, and allow yourself to be swept away by the moment.

I do not know many people who can say that they feel alive all of the time. Each day, many of us just go through the motions of living and do not give it another thought. However, there are times when all we can do is live in the present. Abruptly, we realize that the events occurring right then make up a part of our lives, and we are able to see the whole picture. It makes us understand how minute many of our problems are and how many of us do not give nearly enough credit to the things that are most important, like our family and friends. These moments, in a way, prioritize our lives and make us appreciate what is most vital.

It is not often that we can take a break and just breathe. Therefore, I would encourage everyone to take advantage of these moments; when the weight of their daily struggles is lifted off their shoulders and their only responsibility is to feel alive.