Through the Voice of a Song

Madisen - Clovis, California

There is music that surrounds us everyday of our life. Most people don’t stop and take the time to notice it, but it is there. All you have to do it listen.

When I was a small child I was enrolled in piano lessons which to me, was the best thing that could ever happen. Then as I became older and busier it became more of a chore for me to sit down and practice. I pestered and begged my parents to let me quit, but they always told me I had an incredible talent that I need to use. I hated it when they told me that because I had yet to realize that I really did have an amazing talent. I had a gift that when used, could affect someone whether I knew it or not.

After I finally did stop taking lessons around age fifteen, the way I looked at music completely changed. It all started on a day where I was frustrated and confused. To calm myself down I went outside and began to walk. As I was strolling down the street, I began to pay attention to small everyday sounds. They started sounding more and more like a song to me, and it made me feel as if I were the conductor of a huge orchestra creating beautiful music. The sounds of nature came to life and enchanted me. It changed my outlook on music and made me become much more appreciative.

Music affects people in many different ways, good and bad. Certain genres of music, like Indie or Celtic, can bring uplifting emotions to one, while things like rap and pop creates feelings of motion and the need to dancing. Depending on your mood, there is always a song that fits your emotions at that time. For example, remember your first feeling of love, your first experience with a death, or even your wedding? There was a song associated with it; without doubt every time that specific song is heard it brings back memories causing you to smile or even cry. There are songs to every mood whether it is sad, angry, happy, or excited. Any song can bring you back to any point in your life whether it is someone humming a tune or a song in a store. Either way it creates a miracle that makes you stop and remember.

Most parts of the world today is full of fast movements, rushing cars, and screaming children; if you just stop, close your eyes, and open your ears you can hear things beyond anything you’ve heard before. Music pulls people together as one and brings emotions to life. Creating music is the most precious gift of all because it touches others in one way or another. Music fills the air around me and I know I can hear it. It brings me comfort and joy, and this is what I believe.