I Believe In The Power Of Choice

Alyssa - Burr Ridge, Illinois

I believe in the power of choice. We have all been told how fortunate we are to live in a country where we have the freedom to make the choices that configure our daily lives. But I believe in the power to make a difference with the little choices that we make. Every day we make the choice to get out of bed or not. This is the first choice that everyone makes whether they have a demanding life or a blissful life. When we do make a good choice, we can know that it will impact someone, somewhere. When thinking about choices, the old movie “It’s a Wonderful Life” seems to be a great example. I think about how if the main character had gone through with his tragic death, many people’s lives would have been altered greatly. His brother would be dead, his wife would be lonely and his mother would be bitter. But because he made the choice to live, he made the choice to better people’s lives. I have witnessed the power of choice in many ways. I will share one way with you now.

When my family was on vacation a few years ago we witnessed a driver who made poor choices. This person made the choice to drive a motorcycle while under the influence of alcohol at midnight. We had been traveling on a fast paced highway on our way to a celebration with family and friends. We watched this man hit the ground in a near fatal accident. This is where the power of choice comes into my story. My dad made the choice to help this man who obviously needed it on the side of the highway. We could have passed on by, but instead, we made the choice to help a stranger.

One thing to always remember is that there is not always a right or wrong choice. If you deeply think about your morals, values, and what is important to you; you will end up making the right choice for yourself.

Everyday, we have the choice how we react to the things that go on in our lives. We could choose to look on the bright side of things or we could be negative. We could choose to be the victim in a situation or the victor. We could look at the glass as half empty, or half full. The choice is up to you. How will you choose? And will you choose well?