My Brother & Me

Chris - San Antonio, Texas

Every since I was a little I have always been a different kind of kid. When we were young me and my brother were not all that close at all, actually it was pretty much the opposite. I personally never had a problem with him but he always seemed to have a problem with me. I guess it was that big brother mentality; I must have not been cool enough or something. Whatever the case might have been it was anything but brotherly love.

Eventually as we got older things seemed to change. For the first time in our lives we actually needed each other for more than just punching bags but to have someone to depend on when our parents weren’t there. That just so happen to be a lot of the time. Before I knew it my brother was in high school, him being to years older than me he got there first, funny how that works. As he was a freshman my brother took up distance running, why I have to idea. All I knew was whenever he felt like being a jerk he would throw me off the couch turn off the cable and make me go running with him. Me being the lazy person I was I hated him for this. The pain at first was the worlds single greatest worst feeling ever, by the time we were done every muscle I had in my body was sore as could be. After a few of these punishment sessions I got use to it and even started liking it. It was the first thing in my life that I could do and the next time be better at it than the time before, that just amazed me.

In no time I started running with my brothers cross country team on the weekends and whenever I could really. As I got older and went into high school myself I ran cross country for a team of my own. I would still go run with my brother whenever we could as often as we could. I believe throughout these years me and my brother formed this bond under this one single thing, running. It has made us so connected throughout the years and I can honestly say that to this day he is my single greatest influence in everything I do. Wither it is in sports or in academics we have been as tight as can be. We still fight a little bit but at least now it’s about who’s going to beat who in a race.