Playing in the Rain

Toni - Mesquite, Texas
Themes: nature, pleasure

As a young girl, I loved to sit on the swing on the covered front porch at my home and watch the rain gracefully fall to the ground in front of me. I’ve always longed to run into it and twirl like a dancer with arms spread out wide, as I look up at the sky like it was a truly amazing or a godly feat. The rain always seemed to come at the right time and no matter what I was doing, I would rather be outside in it, because I believe in playing in the rain.

To some people, the rain is just precipitation falling from the sky like a burden or obstacle in their day. It may even come at inconvenient times for them and some dread the thought of seeing gray clouds in the sky. In my life, I look forward to the rain and its hidden meaning around the earth. It seems magical, as it falls out of the heavens and leaves a beautiful colorful rainbow that helps to increase general amazement to children and adults alike. Playing in the rain seems symbolic; it helps to express many emotions, such as heartbreak, loneliness, love, pain, and freedom.

Imagine that you are standing in a field of beautiful flowers; you can feel the mist in the wind and the sprinkles of droplets on your face. It starts to rain a little harder and you look up to the sky, as you stand there and see the sun fading as gray clouds come into view. How does it make you feel? Maybe free, even helpless. In the next scenario, you are in a car, driving at night. You are alone and the rain seems like hail as it thunders around you. You feel as if the thunder is steadily shaking the ground beneath your car as you cautiously drive through the dark. The lightning brightens the sky in deep colorful flashes. This example may seem like pain, or even fear. These illustrations prove how rain may connect to ones emotions and how being out in the rain, even playing in it, helps one to feel different somehow.

As quoted by the Eli Young Band, “When it rains, I don’t mind being lonely, I cry right along with the sky.” This song, along with many others, helps to show the human relationship of emotion to the rain. Part of my belief, is that the rain helps to make you feel alive and helps to realize imperfections of this remarkable world. It may mend problems or make them for some, but either way it creates an earthly bond to humans, and this bond is the reason why I believe in playing in the rain.