Who we are

Ashley - San Antonio, Texas

The first eight years of my life I grew up with a father who I never knew and who never cared to know me and we lived under the same roof. I had a mother who was depressed because of the marriage she was stuck in. Finally when I was eight my mother fought back and took me and my two brothers and left and never looked back. That is the best thing that she could have ever done for us. So we left and moved to Harlingen and my mother went back to school. I was hard just being the four of us but we made it work and for the first time we were actually all pretty happy. Then when I was eleven my mother meet the man who is now my father. Which he is the best thing that ever happened to the four of us. When I was thirteen they married it was hard because we were joining two families, my mom with me and my two brothers and my step-dad with his three daughters. There were many fights and ugly things said but eventually we all started acting as a family. I’m not saying bad things didn’t happen but it was worth it have the family I have know. You see when I was younger I was so angry because I never really had a father. I had this man that would pay the bills but there is much more to being a father then that. It was different for me then my brothers because my brothers had a relationship with my father. I never did though because I am a girl. I know that sounds strange but father believed that women were put on the earth to serve men and that was our purpose. So he never had any interest in me. So I was angry that I never got to be a daddy’s little girl. I think every girl should have those memories with there father. Now that I am older and I have the father that I have now I am thankful in a way that I had that childhood. I have a wonderful father now that I know will always be there for me no matter what, and I wouldn’t trade him for the world. If my mother had never left my birth father then we never would have moved to Harlingen were she meet my father. I would be a completely different person if my dad had never come into my life. So I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. You might not be able to understand it at the time but there is a reason why we all go through the things that we go through because if we didn’t we wouldn’t who we are.