Live Life As Though Your Life was Falling Apart

William - Salem, Oregon

I believe that we should all live as though we are falling apart.

Get this:

Everything that is made or born in this universe will inevitably fall apart again. When humans fall apart, it usually means death. They will fall apart and die and turn into something else on this planet, like rocks, grass, trees, etc.—just to be eaten up again and to form parts of something else. This, of course, is not a new idea. Walt Whitman does a good job talking about this phenomenon a few times in his book Leaves of Grass. In a poem titled “Song of Myself,” Whitman describes grass as “…the beautiful uncut hair of graves.” In that same poem, Whitman says this: “And as to you Life I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths…” I just look at that line as a more positive spin on the whole ordeal. It is nicer to think of myself as the product of some dead things then to think of myself dead becoming other things that get to be alive. I’m sure you agree. If you’re interested, in Leaves of Grass, there is a poem called “This Compost” which deals with the same kind of idea. What Whitman is pointing out though is that you and everyone you know will eventually be something else.

Anyway, it’s funny to think about the average American humans and what they do before they fall apart and turn into something else. It seems as though many of those people have forgot that they will all fall apart eventually. The average American, by the time they fall apart, would have spent years of life watching fake humans and other animals live lives within a box we all called television. That is what we are supposed to spend our time doing before we fall apart?

I think we shouldn’t spend so much time watching commercials and fake people live their lives within a box. I think Henry David Thoreau would agree. Thoreau was an American that went to the woods next to Walden Pond to live life deliberately. He was sick of wasting time doing all the foolish things many other Americans were doing. When you think of everyone falling apart, don’t you feel the same way? One problem is that some people don’t have the woods or the pond to live next to. If you have a pool in your backyard, I guess you could hang out there, but I don’t think that is necessary. We can all live life a little more deliberately by turning the television off and instead talk to our family and friends and get to know them a little bit better before everyone falls apart. You could potentially do some of that in your own family room.