Reinvent Yourself

Shasta - San Antonio, Texas

I thank my son for helping me find out what I was really about. He was born in 2006, and before then I was lost, going down the wrong path and making the wrong decisions. For years I wasn’t true to my soul, my spirit or myself. I believe in reinventing yourself. You can do it once in a life time, or twice in a year. It doesn’t matter as long as you stay true to yourself, reinventing yourself can be the best thing you can do to keep your life meaningful.

Looking back, my vision always seemed cloudy before my son came along. My days would pass before my eyes and I wasn’t even aware of it. I graduated high school, got married, joined the military, and started going to college but neither of these accomplishments felt like true accomplishments. I had set goals and I knew there were certain things that needed to get done but nothing seemed significant enough to me. It took me years to find out who Shasta actually was. Don’t get me wrong, I was happy with myself and with life but I always sensed that small void inside me.

When my son was born my eyes grew wide open. All of a sudden I was on turbo mode. I thought to myself, “I have do this, I have to do that, I have to accomplish this”, for my son. I realized that just because I had behaved a certain way most of my life or had been involved in certain things, didn’t mean I was doomed to continue to live that way. My son showed me it was time to reinvent myself. To start fresh and to things a little better this time around. Reinventing myself helped me become more comfortable with myself, and more in touch with my own needs than ever before. I believe that if we don’t reinvent ourselves than we’ll always have the same ending results in the things we do. Now some of you might be content with how things are going for you, but you can’t doubt that things could always be better. By reinventing myself into a more productive individual, I now get more opportunities and improved life results. You can be reinvented into anything you want. I think its’ important to get accustomed to change, and improvement in order to keep up with today’s society.

There has to be a point in life when you stop and ask yourself, “Is what I’m doing making me happy? Am I using my skills to the best of my ability? Am I happy with my accomplishments or is there something missing?” If your answer is no to one of the questions then it’s time to make a change. It’s time to break the pattern and reinvent yourself to something you will be proud of. My son was my wake up call. He showed me how to follow my heart and helped me become the new Shasta. I might decide in ten years that I need a change and that it’s time for a fresh me. I’ll continue to grow stronger and feel alive by keeping up with the change. I believe our spirit needs to be reborn more than once in life.