Vote Me In

William - Salem, Oregon
Themes: democracy, family

I believe that I am part of one of the greatest democracies in history. Within it, every person feels that they are truly equal and that they have a voice in the decision making.

My wife and I, which form our little two-person democracy in our household, have a governing system that should be the envy of other establishments that call themselves a democracy as well.

When my wife and I make decisions within our home, every vote is based on what each person believes is most beneficial for the well being of all others involved. When there is a tie in votes, it is only solved through logical thinking and rational discussion. Lobbyists don’t affect any of the decisions in this democracy. There aren’t any filibuster-like games played. We respect different ideas and we can quickly work out disagreements. We vote from the head and heart every time, without personal greed or secret motives.

Our democracy is great because it is simply run by the people. Each vote counts directly towards all decision making. There isn’t any electoral college in our democracy, and there aren’t any secondary representatives that make decisions. In our democracy, everyone represents themselves to the fullest.

Relationships between people shouldn’t be any different. The greatest of relationships are based on the principles of democracy. Between husband and wife, for example, there should be no head honcho—no ultimate head of the household. When everyone has a voice in determining the course of their life, they become an actual part of the whole of the relationship, rather than a mere shadow of it.

Of course, children must wait until they have enough experience and have learned enough to make good judgments before they should fully represent themselves. However, even at an early age, children can be given choices to pave their own way. Giving choices to children provides them with experience in thinking critically and analyzing options. Children benefit from being part of a small but great democracy. A great democracy teaches them equality and how to respect others. As my little but great democracy grows by number, equality and respect for others will grow as well.

So, all in all, I believe that my wife and I make up one of the greatest democracies in history, and I propose you start one of your own.