I Believe in Being Helpful

Douglas - Hagerstown, Maryland

I believe that it is everyone’s duty to be helpful. This means to do what you can to help your neighbor, fellow citizen, and country. As a Boy Scout I learned what it meant to help and serve others. I was in a Scout troop with many Scouts who attained the rank of Eagle Scout and by doing this I participated in many Eagle service projects including my own service project. Through these projects our troop served our community and in some cases the National Park Service. My time in the Boy Scouts of America has shaped my core belief of being helpful through the service activities that I participated in. This is why I now plan to be a pharmacist. It gives me the opportunity to help people who are in need of medication and is something that I am able to do that allows me to help my community. Through the Scouts I helped at Cub Scout camps and performed many hours of community service that made me see how important it is for me to be helpful and the impact it has on others. In the Scouts I served in many leadership positions and was the certified lifeguard on many of the trips on water. I was able to help the Scouts in leadership and help my community at the same time by organizing activities that assisted local organizations. One of the organizations we helped was AAUW or American Association of University Women where we were able to help move books into a truck for their book sale and then aid in the set up on site. As a Scout I was able to help in the beautification of our local parks and the clearing of trails for the National Park Service. By doing this everyone who hikes the trails will have a better experience and this makes me believe that everyone should help in any way possible. If everyone helps in some way then life is better for those who were helped and everyone who participated feels better because they know that what was done was valued. Everyone needs a helpful hand every now and then, and this is why one of my core beliefs is to be helpful.