Learning from my Problems and Finding a Solution

LisaMarie - Syracuse, New York

Have you ever noticed that at one time or another you’ve had a hard time concentrating on a task you needed to get done or just focusing in general? Well, I’ll admit I have and quite frequently too. I noticed my problem when I was in the third grade. Of course, many students should know by then that when a teacher’s talking you’re supposed to listen to what they’re saying and pay attention. By far, I was not one of those students. I constantly got up from my desk and went around the room to talk to my other classmates. My teacher had an idea to help break this issue of mine. I was the only one in my class with a timer on my desk and I had to sit there in my seat until it went off and as a reward I got a sticker for the day. Fortunately, I’ve moved on from that lack of focus but it hasn’t stopped there.

Just yesterday before writing this essay, I was in my instructor’s office trying to work on a speech, at the last minute I should add, and when he asked me to brainstorm ideas to put down on paper I got nothing. I could not focus whatsoever.

I realized years ago that I had a problem concentrating and focusing, and I needed to do something about it. I’ve tried planners but just because I had a piece of paper telling me what I needed to do I lacked the focus and dedication to actually sit down and do it. To help me concentrate on my studies, I went to study groups, but most of the time I ended up tutoring other students instead of allowing myself to fully comprehend the material.

Throughout my attempts to find a solution, I have failed miserably at some tasks as well. I’ve bombed a few tests and have missed college and scholarship application deadlines that were very important to me.

I have struggled and failed countless times, but ultimately I have found a solution that fits my way of life. I use deadlines to my advantage as a way to focus. I live life one day at a time and do assignments the day before they’re due. Some may believe that waiting until the last minute could be chaos, but for me it’s a solution to a problem I’ve had a very long time. I believe in procrastination.