Life With Style

Tricel - Syracuse, New York

Life With Style

When I came to think about my understanding of what a personal philosophy was, I thought of certain believes that I had. Many came to mind but none tended to stand out. Then, I happened to look down at my feet and saw that I had my new pair of shoes on and I smiled. I felt a sense of joy. I believe that the joy and happiness that one can receive from a new pair of shoes can change one’s self image.

Working at Journey’s, a sneaker and clothing retail store, helped me receive a better understanding of this philosophy. My job was to sell shoes to people of all races and creeds, both male and female. I came into contact with people of many different styles. But for some reason, they all seemed to have the same goal in mind, to have a new pair of shoes, which in the end resulted in them feeling better about themselves. I’ve had the experience of changing people’s frowns into smiles after leaving my store. I felt that they knew they looked good with their new pair of shoes, hence the smile on their faces.

As you can see there is a relationship between looking good and feeling good as far as how your personality is portrayed to others. When I feel good about myself I feel happy and confident. I own over 40 different pairs of shoes and I never get bored when picking an outfit. I enjoy having a variety of shoes because it allows me to express my style more accurately.

I never wear the same pair of shoes every day. I have a lot of colors and styles to choose from. My collection involves a lot of brands like Jordans, Vans, New Balance and mostly Nike. Being able to wear a different style of shoe makes me feel privileged because not everyone is able to do so. I started collecting shoes not so long ago. I was 17 years old and all the money I got from my first job I spent it on shoes. I realized that having a few pair wasn’t enough so every time I was able to buy more shoes I would.

Even up to this day I still look forward to expanding my collection of shoes. I love shoes so much that I find it ridiculous of how I’m able to spend one hundred dollars easily when it comes to shoes but when it comes to other stuff like jeans and shirts I will rarely spend that much money. Every time I buy a new pair of shoes I make sure I do not wear them until they are sprayed with water and stain repellent. Once the day is done and I’m ready to take my shoes off, I make sure I wipe away any dirt that they may have collected throughout the day.

Image in today’s society plays an important role in our lives, it helps us interact with others more easily, and by doing so there is a chance it may put you ahead in life. You cannot portray a good image about yourself without feeling it from the inside first. You can tell a lot by a person that seems to take care of their looks as opposed to a person who just dresses up to pass by the day. I feel like years ago image was not even important to succeed, but nowadays the more sociable and confident (not cocky) about yourself, the better chance you have to make strong connections with the “outside” world.

Making connections is important because the people you know may be able to help you along the way or even if that person is not helping directly themselves they could always send you to someone that is able to help. The more approachable you are the better you make it for yourself. People around you talk about others all the time, whether good or bad they still always talk. If people have a good insight on your persona no matter to how many “ears” it gets to, you will stand out. It becomes more feasible to interact with others when your self-image is high. For example, if you happen to be around that special person that you really wanted to talk to, you just might have the confidence to talk to him or her because of your high self-esteem that resulted from your self-image.

As you can see, shoes play a very important role in the way we portray ourselves as well as others. It doesn’t play an important role for everyone but it tends to have the same type of result as far as the feeling one gets when a new pair is purchased. Like I have said before, “I love shoes, they make me feel better about myself when I have them on”. If I could give everyone in this world a gift, it definitely would be a new pair of shoes. Although shoes are not considered to be such a big topic to talk about, I feel that they serve a big purpose in life and that many people are able to relate to this topic.