Jackie - Winchester, Virginia

I walked up the stairs onto the stage, and glanced back to the floor of the pavilion. What I see is astonishing. My parents are smiling, something which I don’t understand usually, but this time I do. I keep on walking and finally I reach the person with my diploma. I have finally graduated high school.

I believe in redemption, when you make a mistake, you are always capable of fixing it.

I grew up making mistakes. I wasn’t the perfect child. I had my own set of issues I had to work on, such as OCD and depression. One day it all came crashing down and I broke down. At that point there was nothing anybody could do for me. It was what I could do for myself. I found myself living in Montana that year, and my mind was not clear of thought. I didn’t think I would graduate high school, make it back home, or even make it to college.

Well, it ended up that I got through that year living in Montana. I became a stronger and a more well rounded person. It was all about redemption that year. I wanted to make myself a better person. I wanted to graduate high school, and go back home and make it to college.

Walking down those stairs after receiving my diploma was one of the most memorable days of my life. I thought I would never get that second chance. People need to realize that there is such a thing, .if you push yourself to the limit. Not to the point where you forget what’s good for you, but to the point where you find out what is good for you.

Everybody has one life to live. Why not enjoy that life. Even if you mess it up once, even twice, you can still fix it. It can’t be undone or erased, but it can be pinned back up. When you say something you regret, you can always come back with an apology. When you make a mistake, you can always find a way to make it better. You can always make amens to things you do.