I Believe In Living My Life

Emily - Healdsburg, California

Everyone has their own beliefs, whether it be religion, tradition, or just common routines. One thing that I believe is truly important to the well being of a person is the ability to block out all other negative opinions. It could be the mean words of a bully, or the harmful words from a friend, no matter what they affect you on the inside. I have learned that it is easy just to channel this hurt into useful energy. I am way healthier when I know that I am happy with myself and not worrying what other people think about me.

I have recently decided that life is mine to live, no one else’s. So why let their opinion matter? It is my time to wear what I want to, like those checkered shoes that all my girlfriends told me not to buy because they thought they were ugly. Who really cares, they are just shoes. It is my time to hang out with who I want to be around. I can chose my friends for myself. The opinion of others is not needed, if I like a person for who they are then I don’t care what their status is or how cool other people think they are. Other people can go on making fun of someone who they don’t even know and I’ll just laugh because I took the time to find out how great that person really was. It is my time to think what I want to. I am growing into an adult so now I am making more and more of my own decisions everyday. I let other people influence these decisions but I never let them make a choice for me. If they have a problem with how I do things it should not irritate them so much that they need to mock me in hurtful ways, and if they chose to do so that person is not someone I should be around in the first place. I have learned a new meaning of friendship because the friends that have input but say it in mean ways don’t really help at all, the friends that express this input in a caring way are the ones that are worth having in your life.

When I walk through the halls at school I realize it doesn’t matter what these people say and think about me. They live their lives and I live my own. It doesn’t matter what they say about me behind my back today, and it won’t in twenty years from now. The things that will matter twenty years from now are the fun times I had, the lasting friendships I made, and the memories that I will always remember. That is why today I live for me and by my own rules. It is great to have friends but not when they stop you from experiencing some of the best joys life has to offer. There is no need to be held back especially because life is never long enough as it is.