The Warmth of Laughter

Mary Kate - Windsor, California

When I was younger, I would always be greeted with warm hellos and the chaotic atmosphere of a house of eight. At the dinner table we would talk about our days and tell the best stories. The laughter from seven others and myself will never be forgotten, and even today I laugh as if there are seven others around me, with the distinct laugh that I have.

You could say that laughing is a hobby of mine. No matter what the circumstance, people can always depend on me to be laughing. When people are down, they come to me for the warm smile or the funny story, knowing that they will leave in a better mood. I enjoy being that kind of person, knowing that I can possibly make one persons’ day better by a simple laugh, smile, or funny story.

When I was in about fifth grade, my grandmother was diagnosed with lung cancer. It didn’t come as a huge surprise, since she had been smoking for about 50 years. But throughout her entire treatment, which ranged from chemotherapy and radiation to surgery to take out part of her lung, she stayed positive. All the way up to her final days she kept that I’m-going-to-beat-this attitude going, and always kept that laughter flowing. She never once let her illness bring her down, and that is what made me realize to always keep a positive attitude and to bring the laughter along with you.

There is a saying that goes like this, “laughter is the best medicine,” and I am sure just about everyone has heard that at one point or another. I truly believe that it is. One person such as myself could be walking down a street and burst out with the giant guffaw from something found amusing, and it can spread all over, spreading to people that are angry, sad, or in a good mood as I almost always am.

Whenever I myself am in a bad mood, I think about the family dinners that once brought me to tears from laughing so hard, or my grandma’s strength, or even the funny moments shared between a friend and me. I will never forget those times, and will always remember to keep a smile on my face, and to keep the laughter flowing.