The Power of Healing

Jourdan - Hodgkins, Illinois

“Healing in a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.” This quote was said by the Greek physician Hippocrates. Everyone goes through that time in their life where things beyond their control happen. It always seems to be at that point in there life where everything is going perfectly. But after the chaos, pandemonium, and madness finally cease, there is something that they must do. Everyone does it, whether is takes 3 days or 3 years, whether it’s spiritually or therapeutically, everyone heals. I believe in the power of healing.

My grandfather and grandmother met when she was 13 and he was 18. It was described as, by my own grandfather as “love at first sight”. They were soul mates and everyone could tell whether they approved of it or not. They married in 1959 and had 3 daughters. About 8 years ago my grandparents decided to take a trip to San Francisco, California to visit my aunt and uncle. During their stay my grandmother noticed that my grandfather was not acting the same way as he usually did. He was having a hard time walking and picking up his feet. When he walked his hands were stiff and barely moving. My grandmother was very worried. One day as they were walking in California, my grandfather fell. My grandparents immediately flew home to see their family doctor. Once my grandmother got home she researched the way my grandfather had been acting lately and found he had every symptom of Parkinson’s disease. My grandfather was diagnosed with Parkinson’s about 8 years ago and ever since then it had been an uphill battle. As time passed, his condition got worse. He couldn’t walk, bath, or eat by himself. But who was there through it all? My hard working, ever-loving grandmother was. For 8 years she set her life and problems aside to care for the love of her life every day, no matter how bad yesterday had been. On August 26th 2007, my grandfather passed. That day I did not cry. I wasn’t heart broken. My heart had been broken 8 years before. But at that moment I knew he was healed; he was healthy and had no pain. Now it was my turn to heal.

I believe in the power of healing. No matter how long it takes, you will heal. Every day you are getting better even if it seems you’re getting worse. I can’t say I am fully healed, but I know I have improved. I’ve accepted why things happen that you don’t want to or you can’t control. Now you can dwell on the past or you can take it for what is was worth and move forward. I am healing every day and it gives me strength to, like Hippocrates said, make an opportunity.