True Friendship

Kyle - Dayton, Ohio

I believe in friendship until the end, being there when the other person can’t be there for you.

When I was fifteen my best friend was Marshal. During freshman year he went through a tragedy that crippled everyone who knew him and his family. His father committed suicide, leaving behind a wife and six children. The two youngest were four and two years old. Four and two. It was heartbreaking to hear these two innocent children ask, “When is daddy coming home?” To see such pain and agony was really hard to deal with, but as a friend, I had to be there.

Marshal had many friends, but some weren’t real. Some people didn’t want to deal with the situation, sad but true. On the day Marshal’s world was changed forever, I had a basketball tournament to go to. In a second I made the decision to be with my friend. Another close friend of Marshal’s made the same decision. We stayed with him the first two nights, nothing was said about what happened, but we were there. We both knew he would never be the same, but we accepted it, a friend would do nothing else.

Friendship isn’t just about having good laughs and hanging out. True friendship is loving your friend when he can’t be there for you because his pain is so great. Being in this situation, I knew what needed to be done. I had to let him know that I was there for him. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. To look into his eyes and see such suffering was unbearable. I could come up with nothing to say. So nothing was said that first meeting, but nothing needed to be said. He knew I was there for him and how I felt. True friends understand.

Today Marshal is doing much better. He isn’t the same as he was, but no one expected him to be. He had something taken away from him that can’t be replaced. After a couple of months he said, “I’m not what I used to be, but I’m at my new normal.” What he was looking for was acceptance, and he found it in his friends. If he hadn’t had real friends then he could be completely different. He could hate the world and be angry at everything, but it’s still amazing that he isn’t like that anyway. I feel this is truly due to the support that he received in his time of need.

I believe in giving support to friends who need a purpose in life. To overcome your own needs, put aside your desires, and help a friend who will never receive enough love. That is when you become a true friend.