Andrea - Taft, Texas

I believe in acceptance. In the society we live in today acceptance is a word that seems to of been taken away its positive strength which it use to hold, rather it has been dragged through negativity. In order to be accepted you must look, speak, and be a certain way.

Just last weekend I was at a local comedy club, when the comedian began his skit it started off like any other comedian…then the word retard came out of his mouth it only proceeded to worsen he used the “F” word in front of retard. He was on stage acting as if he had an actual retardation for almost fifteen minutes, I sat in my chair dumfounded with tears filling my eyes as the entire room roared with laughter, I could hear the beat of my heart. The words he yelled and the moans and gowns he disgustingly made still taunt me with utter hatred!

My heart goes out to this man who parades around the country with the belief that he is funny, and more so the fact that he has probably never had the blessing to love a child or person with a mental disability. My major is special education, and my heart is in it. I love a child Noah; he is the child to a strong woman who is a dear friend of mine. Noah has Down’s syndrome he is beautiful child with an amazing personality which shines like no other! His hugs bring joy and love.

Growing up I also had an amazing best friend, Jenna a beautiful girl who would only eat burgers and hot dogs. Jenna has given me something positive that I hold in heart always…acceptance, not the type of acceptance that we see on T.V or read in magazines. The kind of acceptance that allows me to see beauty in all no matter the person, Jenna loved me for me she never taunted me or anyone else. She embraced life like I had never seen or experienced and when she smiled my heartfelt at peace. Jenna had no acceptations of people only love for people. I am in amazement to how Jenna & Noah accept me for me and they would accept the comedian for who he is!

And my heart aches as our society allows this to progress, the laughing at people with differences in movies and the way people use the word retarded as a joke or an insult! I believe in all, I believe in you, in me, and I accept all!!