The Power of a Dollar, or Not?

Qiydaar - 20136, Virginia

The Power of a Dollar, or Not?

While the dollar plays a major role in the world, I believe that money is not the key happiness.

Beyond clichés, a dollar does not satisfy everyone. Of course, no one would give up the chance to make a quick buck, but who would? With billions stacked on top of billions, the world’s richest man wouldn’t give up the chance to make more. Who blames him? Society is set to make life seem easy, as long as you have a couple dollars. The bright side has the glass half full. Yes, you would neverstruggle. When you think about being wealthy, you never look at the glass half empty. No one ever takes the time to think about the things in life that go beyond struggles and overcoming obstacles.

To the average person, love is one of the greatest feelings, ever. It could be between two living beings, or a living being and an inanimate object. This passionate sense of warmth can only be based on one’s true feelings, not something that one was persuaded to believe. In many cases, spouses, marital bonds, or even friendships are formed based on one parties’ interest in the other’s worth; not liking them for who they are, but what they have. You can easily find someone if you are wealthy, but you can never have true love based on the amount in your pocket. Does this person truly love you? Would they still claim to feel the same way toward you if you didn’t have a dollar to your name? While you can spend as much as you want to make someone half love you, if it is not true, then the bond that you share is meaningless.

Many people also grow to love things that are not necessarily living. Love for inanimate objects can range anywhere from hobbies/interests, to things you care about. I played football for two years during high school. Although it had never meant much to me before, I grew to love playing. Initially, I never got close to tears when we lost or subjects like the last game of the season came about. Entering my senior year, I was named a starting wide receiver. I began to love playing. The last game came, and I cried uncontrollably.

My joy from football had nothing to do with money. The world’s wealthiest person could have offered me anything not to care, but it would have anyway. I loved football, and there was no one that could tell me different. Love is a feeling, an emotion, not something that can come and go as easy as a simple dollar.

Though it may seem different, money is not the key to happiness. There are things in life than what money can pay for. Although it is nice to be wealthy, the issues behind the smile are realistic. While you would never have struggles physically, you would always lack in the mental and emotional areas of life.