I believe in fairies

Kersten Heather - Cartersville, Georgia

I believe in fairies. I believe in small answers to large questions, so that is why I chose fairies to represent the sum of my beliefs. Fairies bring to mind, the curiosity of children, the beauty of nature, and the mysteries of the world. They represent the wonders that surround us that many of us never seem to notice or appreciate. They represent faith in the unseen forces of spirit and of protection provided by beings greater than ourselves. Fairies represent lightheartedness and peace of mind. They invoke thoughts of running carelessly through green forests and fields of wild flowers, playing in waterfalls and riding unicorns.

Like many other mythical creatures, the idea of fairies encompasses a state of mind that helps one to feel a sense of enlightenment, if only for a moment. Creativity, tranquility, beauty, mystery, laughter, and tenderness, all are embodied in the fairy.

I like the scene in the movie Hook, where the grown up Peter Pan denies the existence of fairies in the face of Tinkerbelle and then is forced to clap his hands and declare, “I do believe in fairies” to revive her. It is a wonderful parallel for what happens as children are forced to grow up and use their logical minds. They are made to think instead of dream, and so much is lost in the process.

As children, we play with our imaginary friends, see ourselves as princesses and space men, acrobats and cowboys, pirates and beauty queens. It never occurs to us to do anything but believe, for that moment, that we really are whatever we are pretending to be.

As adults we see only the reality of the moment and forget to dream of what we could be in the future. Our natural ability to believe in things unseen directly relates to our ability to believe in ourselves. To believe that we can do or become anything we can imagine. That we can build skyscrapers and airplanes, we can explore the deepest depths of our oceans and even fly to the moon. None of these feats, or any others could have ever been achieved without active imagination and a deep desire to make a dream come alive.

I believe that thoughts are things, and that if you can believe it you can achieve it. And like the grown up Peter Pan, we sometimes have to go back to go forward. We have to remind ourselves to be silly, clap our hands, and declare that we do believe; in fairies, in aliens, in angels, in eternity, and most of all, in ourselves. Fairies do exist, and they live in the wide eyed wonder of every child, in the laughter of every baby, in the achievement of every Olympian, astronaut, and beauty queen.

I believe that fairies do exist. They live in the heart of every man who has ever dared to dream and they make an appearance every time one of those dreams comes true.