Power of the Word

Kyla - Geyserville, California

Write an essay. Three simple words that tend to instill immediate stress, horror, and exasperation into students across the world. I use to wonder what was wrong with me when my friends sighed at the thought of having to spend time writing about some subject that didn’t interest them, while I was busy planning my thesis statement and concrete details.

Now I know that nothing is “wrong” with me. I simply love to write. From my first elementary school essay about China in first grade, to my weekly articles in journalism, I have always loved the art of writing. Since I was young, I knew I wanted to write for a career, but I didn’t know what kind of writing. Should I pursue the difficult task of completing novels, or should I focus on the smaller and more concise articles associated with journalism?

After reading the book Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot, I knew that I had found my niche. I wanted to be a journalist. The only problem was, I had never had any practice in the field, and I was constantly worried whether or not I would excel in the world of the press. My first chance to “show my stuff” was my sophomore year in high school. My friends were busy signing up for sports (something I could never do due to back surgery I had in 2003), I was at the counselor’s table convincing them to switch my schedule around so that journalism could be one of my classes. I finally received my way, and delved into the class.

I was somewhat frightened that I would start the course and realize that I had absolutely no talent at writing. Throwing my fears into the back of my mind, I began to write my articles. Then, one by one they were placed. Sure, in the beginning, my writing was catastrophic. It was a disaster zone of misplaced modifiers, bad grammar, and spelling errors. However, I was teachable. With a few quick English lessons on how to write for the press, I was able to grow and expand. I went from an average of two articles being placed per issue to all six being published. Now the Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper, I have found that my fears were pointless.

I believe in the power of the written word. Even though my vocabulary sometimes falters, and my grammar can become muddled, one fact remains the same: I love to write. There is no better sensation than releasing all of your thoughts onto paper. As my thoughts and feelings bleed from my fingers, into the pen, and onto the paper, I always feel like some invisible stress has been lifted from my being.

Furthermore, I believe in being a writer. Everyone has an opinion to be shared, a voice that needs to be heard, and most importantly, a story to tell. To me, a good writer is someone that loves what they do. A good writer is able to put their voice into their work, and make it fun for all to read. Even if you are able to throw in a ton of descriptive words, and even more college level vocabulary words, it doesn’t make you a good writer. Besides, we are all capable of using the thesaurus. I believe that you need to be confident in your voice, and be able to connect with the reader. Just as everyone has a story to tell, I believe that everyone should write. Pick up a pencil, open a laptop, or just sit and daydream. Enjoy the story.