Sharing music

Patrick - Healdsburg, California

I BELIEVE IN FREE MUSIC

For awhile now Apple has been at the head of music sales. Almost every album from every artist can be found on the online itunes store. However, rarely do I like all the songs on one album, so why should I pay fifteen dollars for an album when I like three songs on it. Apple has found a solution to this, they sell individual songs for ninety-nine cents, but a dollar a song is very expensive when you have seven hundred. Why spend a dollar per song when you can download and share it for free.

Most artists selling music today are already extremely wealthy. Not only do they make money with music sales, they make it from concerts, being on TV and advertising. Many of them don’t use their money to give back, only for buying mansions, rims and chains. The artists have wealth, talent and fame so people downloading their music shouldn’t make any difference in their life.

Underground and non-mainstream artists could use the cash and buying from them is a good thing when they haven’t become full of themselves and are still making music for the love of it and not for the money. They need funding to keep working, but free sharing of music can also help them to gain exposure and with exposure will come both wealth and fame. Many underground artists actually give out free albums to gain recognition first locally and then gradually to a broader audience.

In many cases the money made by artists has a negative effect. Many an artist has started out making great music that they love but have sold out. As they gain fame they start to believe that they are talented in every area like acting like acting or producing. The best music made by artists is when they are making music they love because they love it, not so they can be rich and famous. Music not made for money is also mostly the most unique and innovative music.

Now that the Internet and digital music have become so popular free music sharing is just as much a part of music as selling albums is. Free music sharing won’t make it harder for the artist and can be beneficial to the artist and the listener.