Jewelry

Sierra - healdsburg, California

I believe in Jewelry. Simple as it seems, to me a piece of jewelry is not just an accessory, because it can be so much more than that. It can hold happy memories, lock time, remind you of relatives, a birthday or holiday, or just make you remember a memorable day in your life. The beauty of Jewelry is that it can be appreciated and cherished no matter how old it is. It can be gifted, collected, passed down through generations.

I myself have a large collection of jewelry, and I love every piece of it. From the obsidian and turquoise rings that my mom bought in her youth living in Peru, to the bittersweet necklace from an old boyfriend, through the antique rhinestones and opals of my great grandma, across the gold earrings my dad gave me for one of my graduations, and over my great great aunt’s opera pearls, I love every piece! My collection of sentimental jewelry takes me though a journey of happy, joyous, sad, mournful and rememberable memories. Each of my pieces has a story that I am reminded of every time I wear it. However, not knowing the story at all can also be curiously rewarding.

Like jewelry, I also believe in antique fairs. Rummaging through old necklaces, rings, and bracelets, I try to imagine the people who wore these accessories. Who where they? What was their life like? When did they live? Where did this jewelry find them? And why did they give it up? My mind fills with questions as I try to make up a story for this person that I have never met, and probably never will. I will never know who they were, but what I can do is wear and take care of the jewelry that they once cherished, and that one held special memories for them as mine does for me.