To Trust or not To Trust

Andres - Healdsburg, California

We meet many people in our lifetime. Some we know for years, while others we just meet somewhere during a trip and never see again. What you tell these people and how much you let them know about yourself all depends on how much you trust them. Trust is something that is very valuable to everyone and it’s rarely easy to earn from others these days. How to decide whether you should trust someone or not is difficult to do now because many people can seem to be trust worthy and turn out to be the complete opposite. Some people get so good at pretending to be trustworthy that they do so in order to get close to someone that has something they want until they get it. It is not always easy to prevent yourself from being a victim of false trust. There are three approaches people take when dealing with trust. There are the people who don’t trust anyone, the people who trust everyone, and the people who carefully select who they trust.

The people who don’t trust anyone can perhaps be completely protected from false trust but they will also always feel empty. A person who doesn’t trust anyone doesn’t have to worry about being misled by someone who tries to be their friend. That person, however, will never feel the joy and satisfaction of having a true friend by their side. They will never have those few people, who are trustworthy, be there for them when they need them most. In those times when the person is feeling down and needs someone by their side, they will have no one to which they can confide in. I feel sorry to those who take the approach of not trusting anyone. They will most likely lead lonely lives.

People who decide to trust everyone are honorable people. These people are optimists. They believe that there is more good in this world than bad. These people find out who is not trustworthy by experience and find out who deserves to be trusted by giving others chances. The problem with this approach is that the person using it could get very hurt in finding out who is not trustworthy or in finding out what the person did to them. It takes a lot of optimism and hope in the good of the world in order to take this approach. This is why these people are very honorable and brave for taking this approach.

For the people who take the wise approach were they carefully select who they believe is trustworthy and who isn’t, they share the same approach as I. I believe this is the best approach to use when dealing with trust. In order for this to work, the person has to give people small chances to prove they are trustworthy. The person being tested cannot know that he is being tested for this will defeat the purpose. Over time, you learn who really is trustworthy and who is not as trustworthy as they seem. It is a process where you have to take your time and get comfortable with the person. This approach has many advantages in that it helps sift through the trustworthy and untrustworthy people and very few disadvantages. The only disadvantage that can come from this approach is that once in a while you will make a mistake about someone, but the consequences are much less severe.

Trust is not something that is just handed out to anyone. If someone trusts you, it’s because they believe you are a good person. Most people take this lightly when it should be. Trust is something very personal that people should respect at all times. I have found that trust can be given to many people but you need to be extremely careful not to give it to someone who will abuse your trust because the consequences could be terrible. All you can really hope for is wise choices and the best of luck.