Family Love

Molly - Thornton, Colorado

For most children, they grow up looking to their parents and family members as role models. Kids want to grow up to be like their daddies and mommies. For me, my parents are the exact opposite of what I want to be when I grow up. Growing up in a broken family, torn apart by divorce, drugs drinking and disease, I know what not to do in life. I have experienced the consequences of my father loving drugs and drinking more than his own child, I have seen the toll that a disease can take on my mother, and I have felt the pain divorce has caused me. Normally under these circumstances, people would rely on their family for more support to get through these things. For me there has never been that bond. The norm at my house is fighting and crying. Bitter words and angry tones. I don’t trust anyone in my family and don’t feel as if talking is an option for us. For these reasons I believe family love isn’t real.

I believe that there is a connection between families, yes. But do I think this connection is love? A kind of love that makes you happy inside just thinking about it? The love that keeps you going every day? No, I don’t. I don’t believe this love is that of a family because that isn’t the connection I have with my family. I do believe love is out there but not in my family. All I know is that there for me, in my life, family isn’t something I need; it’s not that love that everyone wants in their lives.