The People You Care About

Alyssa - Healdsburg, California

The People You Care About

Everyone has someone in their life that they care about. Whether that person is a friend or a family member it is important to let him or her know that you care about them because you do not know what the future holds.

I began believing this about two years ago when one of my friends told me a story about two brothers. The two brothers were good friends despite the large age difference. Every day before the older brother left for school or for his job the little brother would say, “I love you.” The little brother went out of his way to say those three words to his brother before he left the house. There was one day that the younger brother never said those words to his older brother. The two were in a fight and when the older brother left the house he said, “I love you,” and his little brother did not respond. The little brother regretted his decision to ignore his brother later that night when he and his family discovered that his brother had died in a car crash. The little brother could only think of one response to the news, “I never told him that I loved him.”

It is because of this story that I always make sure to tell my family members that I love them. No matter how frustrated or angry I am with my parents, I always tell them that I love them before I leave the house or they go to work. There is no way for me to know what’s going to happen in the future and I don’t know how many opportunities I will have to tell the important people in my life how much they mean to me.

I believe that you should always let people know if you care about them. You should never let anger interfere with your relationships so much that you can’t even say, “I love you.” Every opportunity you get, let the person you care about know how much they mean to you because you never know if you will get another chance.