I Believe That There’s More Than One Kind of Angel

Lisa - El Paso, Texas

I believe that there are angels besides the ones up in heaven, walking on clouds, and helping those on earth in their times of need. The angels that I believe in don’t have golden halos shining over their heads or use wings in order to get from place to place. These angels come in the form of compassionate human beings and we interact with them every day. I myself have come in contact with a very special one- my cousin.

Lynn Marie has been called courageous, strong, understanding, and kind but I can sum her up in one word. Lynn was an angel. She was diagnosed with cancer when she was 21. To me, a twelve year old tag-along-cousin I saw this as a perfectly understandable reason for her to forget about me and instead focus on getting better. However, Lynn took the news in stride and instead of leaving me in the dust she paid even more attention to me than before. She knew that it was just as important for me that she notice and believe in me, as it was for her to get better- even if I would never admit it. This resulted in “girl talks,” heart to hearts, and some amazing times. She was an incredible stand-in as the big sister that I had always wanted, feeding me strength, courage, and yes- compliments when they were desperately needed. Lynn taught me that nothing can get the best of me and even when going through a rough time, spending it with someone who was always on my side would get me through it.

However, I wasn’t the only one that Lynn impacted. Regardless of whom she was talking to, she made sure that the conversation was about them. She didn’t want to monopolize the discussion by talking about herself, when she would much rather know how Grandpa was doing or if Little Jason had gotten over his cold. She wanted everyone to know that she was there for them, was thinking about them, and prayed for them every night. In her doing so, I was able to see the person that I wanted to be. In her doing so, I have become a much better person right now than I would have been otherwise. In her doing so, I have truly learned that giving really does feel better than receiving. Through Lynn I learned to be strong in hard times in my life, knowing that she would be there for me if I ever needed her. Even now, after she has become one of the angels that does sport wings and wear a shiny halo, I know that she will remain looking after me in just the same way that she did when she was alive.

All over the world, no matter where I look, I find people just like Lynn- people who will do anything and everything to help others that need it. When thinking about those words: “someone who will do anything and everything to help someone,” I can’t help but wonder, “How do people not see that as being an angel?”