Half Full

Samantha - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: setbacks

The sun shines brightly high in the sky, and waves crash into rocks along the shoreline. The moment is picture perfect. Then, the cry of a baby begins. Is the moment ruined or is the moment now a greater gift? Pessimists would believe destruction has just occurred like screeching fingernails on a chalkboard; however, I would treasure the addition as a piece of the puzzle that makes it complete. I look for the greater good in all situations, circumstances, and short comings. I believe that the cup is half full.

Growing up I had a wonderful life though it was not perfect. I had my share of setbacks and disappointments. I can still remember my first obstacle. I was three years old and I had just begun playing t-ball. One Sunday, my mother was mowing the lawn, so she let me play in my little pink swimming pool. I was out under the blazing sun in the heat of the day for hours. My mother told me to go inside but I begged to stay until she finished. Being mommy’s little princess, I got my way but not without a price. Monday I awoke with blisters from the tip of my neck to my bottom. To this day, I can still remember the wretched pain. Yet, the blisters were not my only problem. I had a t-ball game that night. Every time my mother tried to put on my shirt, my screams of pain would make her stop. She set me down at the table for lunch with my mac and cheese and half of a glass of milk, and I will never forget what she asked me next. She said, “Samantha, is your glass of milk half empty or half full?” I was only three and did not know what to think. I paused. She continued, “Are you going to let this beautiful Monday waste away because you have one little problem, or is my little princess going to rejoice, be happy, get dressed, and go see her friends at t-ball?” I chose to play my game that day, but it was not until years later when I realized how significant that day had been to my development.

My mother’s simple analogy has paved the road of my life. It has taught me that everything is a fifty fifty shot and that only I can decide my outcome. I have learned that when life throws you a curve ball, it is better to take control of the situation yourself than to let the situation control you. And failure is never an option, because if at first you don’t succeed, you must try, try again. Life is too short to live day by day and take any moment for granted. Living positive can help make the hard times so much easier, but it is all how you see it. Perspective is everything and that is why I believe the cup is half full.