Overcoming anything

Zully - Kyle, Texas

I had been waiting for the moment to start high school. The day finally came and I was absolutely lost.

Finally getting used to the high school life I decided to go for the dance team. It was something that id always loved to do. I had been dancing since I had been in middle school and I loved how performing felt.

Tryout day came and it was astounding. The next day I received the news. I had made it! I had made the varsity dance team. I mean the team wasn’t exalted but it was something to be known for.

It was March, and everything was magnificent as the great blue sky. A couple of days passed and I could see that my parents were worried. They wanted to move back to our old house. That meant that I had to move schools and leave everything behind. I had never moved schools before, and I didn’t like the idea. I didn’t want to leave my friends that I had known all my life, but I was concerned.

Spring break came around and I decided that maybe the move would to me good. I tried to keep in mind that I would meet knew people at my new school and everything would go fine. So I went for it.

Spring break ended and I registered at my new school. It was nothing that I expected. It was so different. I was nothing like any of the people there. It seemed just like the first day of freshman year. I remember crying for two weeks straight wishing to go back.

I had two cousins going to my new school. I talked to one of them. She was three years older than me. We had grown up together. The other relative at the school hated me and wanted to get her friends on me.

I decided to put it all aside and try to go on with my life. I made a few friends. I had heard that the dance team at my new school was having tryouts for the 2007-2008 varsity squad. I had also heard that the team was superior. As soon as I found out I went and told my cousin, thinking she would support me. Instead, she told me that every member of the team was tall, skinny, white, and had blond hair. On top of not supporting me she insulted me too.

Again, I decided to go for it. I was going to prove her wrong and prove anyone else that I could do what I wanted to do.

A week past and tryouts were here. After school waiting for us to start learning the dance my other relative came over. She claimed that I gave her mean looks and was talking about her. She got so close to me that I could even smell in her breath what she had ate for lunch. She acted like is she was going to fight me. All she wanted to do is bring my anger out. She knew that she would make me so mad that I would have probably fought her. But I wasn’t going to act like that in front of my director, so I held it all in. My director talked to me, and calmed me down.

I went to tryouts all week long, and Friday I received the news that I had made the team. I shrieked, yelled, and shouted. Not knowing anybody I retained and did everything I ever wanted. Now its my second year on the dance team, my first in yearbook staff, and expecting to join the Leo Club. I believe that we all have the energy and the potential to do whatever we want to do and overcome anything.