The Art of A Smile

Chasity - Syracuse, New York

As children, our parents can recall of habits, good or bad, that we had when we were growing up. I have been told that as a kid, I was quite sensitive and at times timid, but one thing that I loved to do was smile. As I continue to mature, I have truly embraced my smile and how it has a major effect on how people perceive the type of person I am. With all of that considered, one thing I believe in is the art of a smile.

The type of smile a person has, in my opinion, can tell a lot about their personality; if they are fun loving and friendly or quiet and intimidating. I can remember at times when I would be upset or sad, the first thing that someone would do is smile, which in turn caused me to do the same. I believe that our smile is the very first thing that is seen when we introduce ourselves to others. We may go through the motions of eye contact and shaking hands, but the most memorable part of that introduction is the smile, and that can linger in one’s mind forever.

I believe in the art of a smile because it is something that I love to do. I can remember looking at childhood photos of my sister and me and in almost every one of them, I am smiling wide; all teeth showing in perfect alignment. Even when I was going through the stage of loosing teeth, I still was never afraid to smile big. I was blessed to never have to get braces in order to straighten my teeth, and I think that is one reason that I value my smile.

Smiling is something that just comes natural to me. It’s a signature of my outgoing personality and fun nature and moreover; my smile keeps me connected with my family. I often receive complements from people saying how much I favor my grandmother or my mother with my smile. It takes way more energy to frown at someone than to smile, so why not smile and get it over with? I believe that smiles are supposed to be genuine, sincere and invite people into the world of your individuality. Leonardo DaVinci’s Mona Lisa is a masterpiece that is known worldwide; not just for his use of color and brush stroke, but for the way he portrays her smile—subtle, yet warm and comforting. I believe that smiles have long lasting effects on the people we meet, even without getting their first name.

In life, we are faced with battles and obstacles, but if we don’t take time to smile through those tough times, then the experience wasn’t worthwhile. No matter what type of smile it is, curved lips or a full flash of all 32 pearly whites, we should all make it a part of our daily routine to smile, because you never know who could be falling in love with yours.