I believe in Karma

Jane - Syracuse, New York

“I believe in Karma.”

I believe in Karma, the theory that what comes around goes around. I believe that we are a product of our actions. My belief is not only founded on what I have heard, but in many of my life experiences. How you live your life today has a direct effect on what happens to you tomorrow. Many books have been written, many stories have been told. Yet where does this theory really come from? We have heard our entire lives but do we really know its history…?

Mark Magill writes, “It is a particular aspect of the law of cause and effect that relates to our experience of happiness and suffering, and that basically depends upon our motivation. When we engage in an act, no matter how it appears, what is important is our motivation.” (Magill, Tricycle, p. 44-7) Christians have the belief of punishment for bad and reward for good, Buddhists actually have an understanding that our lives are at a crossroads. We must look at our past as this is the building block from where we have come and then look to the future at the skyscraper we can build. We as humans want to ask “Why did this happen to me?” when we should be asking “What is our intention in resolving this issue?”

In my personal life I have had this experience many times, some good, some not so good. For instance, growing up I had done a lot of work with the church and volunteer agencies then when my first son was born prematurely I was not given a very good outcome on his recovery, yet instead of letting this tear me apart. I knew he would be alright. I of course made promises to God as we all do. Then when he was five day old and in the middle of open heart surgery, three men came up to me in the waiting room and asked if he was my son. I said yes. They turned out to be a priest, chaplain and minister. They prayed over my son and today he is twenty six and very healthy.

In December 1999, my house burned down and I lost everything I owned, yet two years later I had the highest sales by a woman that my company had ever had. In 2006, I fell through a ceiling at work, my arm was in a cast, I had surgery in two places on my arm and here I am today attending Syracuse University on scholarship. So as you go through life just remember to stay focused, do your best and be you.