Morgan - Healdsburg, California

Life is an adventure. It comes in all shapes and sizes. You can’t expect anything from it, and whatever it has planned for you is what you are meant to deal with. Everyone has choices in life. My dad was very found of repeating that throughout my young years so it stuck to my head ever since. I believe in very choice you make can either benefit you or put you down, but either way I believe you learn something from it if you look hard enough for it.

My Mom wasn’t there for me during my growing up years, and by that I mean teenage years. At that age I think everything falls in place and you start to discover who you are as you get older in those teenage years. You experiment with your style and looks until you finally see what fits you right. You can either be a rebellious trouble maker or a good kid that does whatever their told. I was both. At times I viciously hated my dad for the things that were changing after my mom had left us, and at the same time, he was my dad. I couldn’t be a rebellious child against him, he was by himself. He needs his oldest child to help him with the other three kids he had to raise on his own and the house work he couldn’t do while he was at work. I couldn’t let him down.

I made a choice to be more helpful, and responsible around the house. Now remember that I was only twelve and I set aside all my friends and other kid stuff that I should have been doing, and I put that away in a box for 4 years. I thought I was needed to be something more for my family, and I was. Without my help my dad would have struggled tremendously and I don’t think my younger siblings would have been able to grow forward with our parents divorce. That choice brought me to be the mature young adult that I am today.

Even though this sounds like a good story there is the bad in it too. After five years went by my dad had remarried and we had moved to Healdsburg just about two years ago everything went down hill. I started to rebel and disrespect my dad for every choice that he had made. When all this was accruing I lost my relationship with my dad. I started to not listen to him, I was coming home later then I should, and I was even lacking on the love I should have for my family. One day I woke up and i saw all the greatness I had in my life. I finally was able to appreciate his choice for moving here.

I had great friends. My school was going good. I had just got a car and license, what more could I ask for.

My point to my whole choice making belief is even if you don’t, at first, see the goodness in the choices you made or someone makes around your life you need to try and look for it because if you don’t, you’ll just keep digging a hole that you cant find your way out of and you’ll never find that happiness in your life again. Appreciate.