There’s More To the World Than We Know

Peter - Syracuse, New York

I believe that there are things in this world that don’t have rational explanations. Sure, the scientific method and the various other experimental procedures out there have helped uncover some very amazing things for the human race, but what about those topics that are controversial? Ghosts, UFOs, and Sasquatch are just a few of the various things throughout human history that haven’t been validated, yet haven’t been dismissed either. People claim(ed) to have seen them with their own eyes, yet scientists haven’t been able to successfully prove the existence of any of these ideas.

Now I’m a man of very little faith. I need to experience things for myself before I can wholeheartedly believe that something as ridiculous as Sasquatch could exist. Without any firsthand or scientific evidence, the talk of such strange paranormal phenomena would either result in my dismissing these claims entirely or me not making a judgment until I ‘saw it for myself.’ When I was growing up, my parents tried to throw concepts such as Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy at me. Even at a young age, I didn’t believe that a fat man in a red suit would come down my chimney and put presents under my tree during Christmas. So when I was asked about the Boogey Man and ghosts, I just thought that those things were urban legends, too.

It was the typical morning in the fall of third grade. At the age of eight, my morning routine consisted of rising at 5:30, watching cartoons for a good hour and a half with my dad, and eventually leaving for school. Even when I was young, I always woke up before my alarm clock went off. So there I was, another typical school day about to start. I had woken up about 15 minutes before my alarm clock was due to go off, so I opened my eyes and looked towards my window across from my bed. Except this time, something was different. I had this strange feeling that I was not alone in my room.

There was a little space between my window and the radiator on the other side of my room. Normally, this space was empty, but this time something was occupying that space. What appeared to be a blue circle of light was floating in midair in a still manner halfway up the wall. Thinking that this was a result of those blue spots you see when you wake up, I rubbed my eyes and shook my head to make sure that I wasn’t dreaming. Upon my eyes refocusing, this floating ball began to take shape. A pair of shoulders, followed by a torso and a head surfaced. What appeared to be a short old man was staring at me from across the room. Like a deer caught in headlights, I was stuck in a trance as this man began to drift towards me.

An arm appeared out of the torso, and seemed to be reaching towards me, as if it was intent on touching me. When the hand got about a few inches from my face, I screamed, threw the covers over the thing, and ran out of my room. After further reflection on the incident later on, I had realized what had gone down in my room; I had been contacted by a ghost.

Now I know what you’re all thinking; this guy is absolutely crazy. I’ll have you all know that I haven’t seen anything like this since, but I do know for sure that I was not having a vivid nightmare. Scientists dismiss the fact that ghosts exist because they can’t scientifically prove (yet) their existence. But sometimes certain things can’t be explained. Sometimes you have to see something for yourself to believe it, regardless of what society or the critics say. But there is one thing I do know: I do believe there is more in this world than we can rationally explain.