Glass Half Full

Andrew - Henrietta, New York
Themes: hope

I believe that an optimistic mindset is the key to a more enjoyable life. It allows you to focus on each day’s new opportunities instead of dwelling on all of your past regrets. Optimism grants people the confidence they may otherwise lack and aids in overcoming adversity while allowing them to achieve goals with little anxiety. Confidence gives you the courage to try new things and to meet more people which I believe to be the gateway to broadening your horizons of the world. Increased confidence makes for a less stressful life because you tend to worry less about the anxiety you get from uncomfortable situations and tend to have less to complain about. Decrease in stress usually leads to a healthier and happier life overall because you tend to carry fewer burdens. When you are a happier person you tend to have more successful and satisfying relationships because enjoying who you are allows for a pleasant attitude towards others. Enhanced prospective on life tends to ease worries about the idea of death because it is a dilemma everyone will face and it makes you think about the satisfaction of your own life. I consider optimism to be the best way to deal with the loss of loved ones because you spotlight the good times that were spent together and the things that they taught you. Recently my great grandmother passed away but instead of reflecting on it and feeling sorrow I remember the thanksgiving feasts at her house and all of the stories she used to tell. When situations don’t pan out as well as you wish they did you’ve got to look for the good in bad occurrences and use mishaps as learning experiences for the future. Realistically it is impossible to live a perfect life without failures and I don’t expect good things to always happen but I do think wishful thinking has its benefits. I see luck as being the result of your preparedness and foresight to accept a desirable event. So for someone to be lucky they need to believe that miracles can happen and that the cards are not always stacked against them. My optimism comes from my grandfather who was faced with poverty growing up and lives with a physical imperfection from birth that causes him pain every day. But, instead of looking for pity or allowing his handicap to hinder him he has gone on to become a successful businessman, gain more life experience than I could imagine gaining, and is one of the happiest people I’ve ever met. I believe with a glass half full mindset you will be able to live a more enjoyable life.