I believe in athletics

John - Staten Island, New York

I believe in athletics….

Since I was a little kid…. It has been my saving grace to get me through the best of times and the worst of times… The smell of the grass…. The eye black dripping down the faces of the warriors out there on the field of play…. No matter what there is nothing better then game day. Athletics has the natural ability to bring out the best and worst of every single human being….

In athletics…. You will reach the highest of highs… and lowest of lows…. The ecstasy of that game winning base hit… or conversely the agony of missing the last layup as time expires… athletics is very much a parallel to everyday life. Moments of glory… Moments of anguish… Moments that make you laugh… and moments that will make you cry.

The beauty of sport is to see people of all different backgrounds and ethnicities together to form a common goal. The bond from sharing the field of battle is an everlasting one that forms tremendous friendships. Two of my best friends I met on the baseball diamond and the memories we share will last a lifetime.

Granted at the same time… if you’re a fan what gives you better pleasure then watching your favorite team play a ball game. Sitting down in your seat in front of the television or even better at the stadium. There’s no place Red Sox’s Fans would rather be then Fenway Park and Yankee fans… with the House that Ruth Built… For those three hours or so… fans are able to take their minds off of their everyday life and can focus on something that will cause them a diversion… sometimes of joy… sometimes of anger… but a diversion none the less… For those three hours your team is your concern.

However…. Who are we kidding… sports are about giving your best and there is really no better feeling in the world then success in competition. After all what human being likes to lose at anything. The feeling of success is seen from the baseball diamonds at 161st street and Yankee Stadium and down in the Dominican Republic, and from the Boston Garden to the playground courts throughout urban America. The chance to win and dream something big is what sports is able to do.

I believe everyone should compete…. Everyone should give their all… The best athletes are people who will refuse to lose… If that is how you approach your life… you will be successful.

I believe in athletics….