The Porch

Patrick - Hanover, New Hampshire

There are many philosophical and intellectual beliefs that I have that I could have shared with you today, but I choose one that is especially near and dear to my heart, something that isn’t a lofty idea, but is in actuality a fixed structure. What I’m talking about is the porch. I believe in porches.

Porches are great. Some people may call them patios or decks, but I personally think that there is a difference between the three. Patios are just a nicely manicured area of the lawn in which people sit around in patio furniture, usually next to a pool. Decks are pretty close to porches, but when I think of what a deck is, I usually imagine pirate ships, so I’m going to stick with porches.

Back home at my parent’s house, we have this porch out back that is truly on of my favorite places to be. It’s a large porch so there are many chairs there’s also a large table that my whole family can sit around and have dinner. The grill on the porch is clutch, it makes cooking on those hot days of summer much more enjoyable when you can stand out there as the sun is setting, enjoying a cold tasty beverage of your choice, and grilling up some delicious food. When it becomes too cold to sit out on the porch in the fall, all we have to do is spark up the outdoor fire place, and then the porch can be used in all the same ways as the summer time.

Now if you think about it porches are probably one of the more social environments in which people hang out in. All one needs to do to see that is walk around campus on a nice Friday afternoon, and you will see the multitude of people doing all kinds of social activities on porches. Also, have you ever been to a party on a porch? Probably had a good time at it. You can sit outside and enjoy the weather, if it’s a porch with a roof you can hang out there even in the rain.

Porches are an area where people can get together and have a good time, they can be a place where a wild party is going down, or it could be a nice spot to sit on a quiet weekend morning reading the paper and sharing the stillness and calm with someone special to you. The porch is a versatile entity, not quite a room, but its also not really the yard, it’s a place to be with people you like, it’s a place where the mood should be light and people should be taking it easy, and enjoying the relaxing vibes of the porch.