The Clocks Should be Turned Off at Night

Samuel - 13210, New York
Themes: pleasure

“I believe the clocks should be turned off at night”

I first came across this idea when, upon coming home from school, my bedside clock was unplugged as I went to bed. Jetlagged and exhaused, I was too lazy to plug in the clock. Subsequently, it was the best night sleep I have ever gotten. Upon waking up feeling contently rested at the crack of noon, I had a moment of self-reflection.

Although the real reason I had such a good nights sleep is probably because I hadn’t slept in almost 48 hours, it was such a great feeling to not care what time it was; to not care when I had to wake up, to not care what I had to do the next day, I could wake up when I wanted and do as I pleased.

Think about exactly how much of our lives is run by the clock. We have to be at class at nine, meet Joe and Sally for lunch at noon, race to class again at three, dinner at six, meetings until ten and then read until our eyes cannot stay open anymore, until we pass out at god knows what time, hoping to stay awake long enough to set an alarm to get up at 830 and do the exact same thing the next day. Is this really healthy?

Don’t get me wrong, clocks are definitely necessary in life. We need to know what time it is so we can keep some sense of order and be productive with our time. We need to know when we can meet Joe and Sally and when class starts so we can learn, but when is some order too much order? When does our life start being run by the clock? Shouldn’t we have some entropy in our lives?

I believe that the clocks should be turned off at night, not only so we can get a better night’s sleep but so we can break free of something else ruling our lives. I believe that we should have a break from the hustle and bustle of the day. For those eight hours each night I believe that we should be able to not be worried about what we have to do or where we have to go. Like a third-grader, I believe that we need recess.

So tonight when you go to bed flip down your bedside clock, put your cell phone on the other side of the room, set your alarm, fluff up your pillow, lie down and let yourself go. Don’t worry, the alarm will ring in the morning. Until then, don’t just resist the urge to look at the clock – liberate yourself from the clock and not even care what the clock says. I believe you might learn something.