Just Desserts

Sam - Kyle, Texas

I tend to play life by ear, but when it comes to my beliefs, I like to think that people who have worked hard, suffered much, and deserve a break, eventually get a big fat one. There are a lot of people that are downtrodden and hardworking, like myself, but only a few suck it up and keep going, and those men get their desserts. Hard to believe a simple sentence can keep you going, but it works for me. As they say, God helps those who help themselves.

What do I mean, you ask? Well, take the story of Nas for instance. Before he became “Nastradamus”, he was stuck in Brooklyn in a deadbeat project, and he dropped out of school in the eighth grade. Most people I know would figure he’d end up in a gang, which would then lead to a violent end and a Page six item that people scan before moving on to Marmaduke. But he loved music, educated himself by reading religious texts and African culture books, and started rapping, making his debut Illmatic when he was nineteen, and achieved major success. Now he is one of the most respected artists in the music business, has a beautiful wife and family, and Illmatic has been hailed as one of the greatest rap albums of all time. That kind of work ethic inspires me to push myself in music and make something of myself. It’s also why I hate some high-minded purist raising Cain about Nas, Jay-Z, and other greats like them. They earned what they got! Let them enjoy it, for crying out loud! They served their time in hell.

So, when I think I’ve got the short end of the stick or when I have piles of homework to do at night, I remember that eventually God will compensate me for my trouble in some way, as yet unknown. And I suggest to friends to put on a Nas album or others like him when you’re feeling stressed out about a spat with your girlfriend, some tyrannical teacher, or any other petty problem you can shake off like a horse whips a fly with its tail. One track’ll put things in perspective. Keep living, feel good, and get by. That’s my code.