I Hit My Rock Bottom

Eva - san antonio, Texas

When I was in my teenage years, I made some real bad decisions that I now regret making. I had attended a school that would be considered on the “good side” of town. That didn’t make a difference on the way that I had acted. Because of some choices I had made, I ended up having to repeat the ninth grade again, but it was fine because some of my friends had to do the same thing. My second time around was pretty bad if I remember correctly. I had mildly been experimenting with drugs and alcohol since about the eighth grade, but I didn’t get more into it till the starting of my high school years. My parents would always tell me, “you don’t come from a broken home, you have two parents that genuinely care for you and love you and yet you act like this, why?” My answer to that was, “Oh well.” They couldn’t understand why I acted this way, and now as I think on it, I can’t figure it either. My parents had never used drugs. When my dad was younger he drank an occasional beer, socially, but never like had been doing for a few years now. By the time tenth grade finally came around I was so ready to get out of that school. I had gotten in trouble so much and stopped caring a long time ago. I would say that I had a permanent seat in the principal’s office, ISS, or just flat out suspended. At that time I didn’t care about school and thought of it as a waste of time. I would always skip class and go to friends houses. I had missed so much class that I had to start going to truancy court and was assigned a probation officer and was on and off probation for three years. My parents were so feed up with me; they were ready to send me off to boot camp and had the permission of the courts to do so. But who could blame them. At that time I hadn’t hit rock bottom, until one day my mom came to visit me at school to make sure that I was going to class. She just so happened to catch me skipping my class. She then told me, “I don’t know what to do anymore,” and dragged me to the principal’s office as her last hope. As I sat there in his office all I could hear in the silence was my mother’s sobs. The principal next told me, “Eva, if you keep acting this way you’re going to graduate and amount to nothing.” At that point I knew I had finally hit my rock bottom. I knew it was going to take a lot of hard work, but I was determined to prove that principal wrong. He even knew from that moment on I had changed. I was no longer sent to the office or voluntarily went. I wanted to graduate, with a passion. My parents saw the change and asked, “why now,” and I responded with, “I hadn’t hit rock bottom yet and I wasn’t going to until I said that I was there and after all that I went through, I was ready to get up.” I graduated.