The Power of Music

Duncan - Dayton, Ohio

I believe in the power of music. Music is very personal, it can be interpreted however the listener pleases. A song which seems deep and filled with emotion to one may sound boring to another. To me, music has been a way to express myself when I couldn’t do so otherwise – a blank script to which I can write stories without words, and share my experiences with others.

From an early age I was always interested in music and I began playing piano when I was roughly 5 years old. I would continue to take lessons for the next several years however I never really loved the piano. After awhile I rarely touched the instrument, only at lessons, and my interest in the subject was slowly dwindling away. At the age of 12, my father bought me an electric guitar for Christmas; I’ve loved it ever since. My interest in music was returned. I spent the next few years taking lessons and practicing my newly acquired skills.

Though I no longer take lessons, my interest in guitar hasn’t dropped the slightest. It allows for me to constantly challenge myself to write and learn harder and more complex pieces. Through playing an instrument I enjoyed, I opened up to new styles of music and bands I almost certainly would have never found otherwise. I was finally listening to music, not just hearing it. I was trying to interpret the messages embedded into the sound by the artist. I found out that every piece was a story to be unencrypted by the listener.

I have always been interested in creating my own things and learning how other things work. Therefore it’s not odd that I began to write my own songs sonly after acquiring my instrument. Even with rather novice skills I was attempting to write my own musical pieces. While they were rather crude at first, I would soon learn more sophisticated writing skills and make more complex and personal melodies. I gained great joy in doing this. I was always rather unspoken, always somewhat shy, but through writing my own and pieces and sharing with others I gained confidence in myself to reach out to people. It has helped me with expressing myself verbally and bettering myself as a whole.

Through writing my own music I can be anyone, tell any story, and live any life. I can allow other people to live my life and I tell it, just as I have lived others. It is a great way for me to express myself in a way I couldn’t do otherwise. It is a way for me to transform emotion into sounds, emptying myself of stresses and bettering myself in the process. The love of music has transformed my life and the lives of those around me and is truly something in which I believe.